An evening with friends is a great way to spend time and have fun. But why not make your next gathering more fun and exciting? Board games will definitely help you to cope with this. They can easily diversify any party and bring players together. If you do not want to get bored with board games, it is important to monitor trends and new products in the market. More and more board games for every taste are released every year. For you, we have prepared the top 10 of some fresh and new board games.
Top 10 Best New Games 2020
Wingspan – a vivid and catching tableau-building game
- For 1-5 players. Ages 10+
- 40-70 minute playing time
- A competitive bird-collection, engine-building Game
- You are bird enthusiasts—researchers, bird watchers, ornithologists, and collectors— seeking to discover and attract the best birds to your aviary
- Unlock chains of powerful combinations in this competitive Game
- material type: Paper
Stonemaier Games Wingspan Game is a competitive board game dedicated to the theme of nature, particularly birds. This game will help you learn a lot of new and interesting facts about the life of birds. Players are supposed to have the roles of bird lovers, who try to get the best birds to their network of wildlife reserves and build a bird empire.
The design of the game is thought out to the smallest details. Designers did a good job on the visual components of the game. Interesting facts are printed on each card with birds. This game is great for players over 10 years old. The maximum number of players is 5 people. This game is a good choice for people, who are not indifferent to the theme of nature and like beautiful visual components.
- Attractive design, quality printed game elements
- The game is interesting to play for both children and adults
- Players will learn many interesting facts about birds
- It develops logical thinking
- There are many options for the development of the game and many ways to win
- The high cost of the game
I bought this game as a gift to my daughter. She was delighted and examined the pictures of birds on the cards with interest. We have played the game many times and it does not make us bored!Nancy, AK
This game is a worthy addition to any collection of board games. Visual design – a masterpiece. I liked it very much!Joe, NY
The game is very addictive, I want to play it again and again. It has interesting and uncomplicated game mechanics, while winning the game is not easy. The game is worth the money.Keith, FL
Terraforming Mars – best new strategy board game
- Compete for different milestones and awards worth many VPS
- Over 200 different projects to complete
- 1 to 5 players ages 12 and up
Indie Boards and Cards Terraforming Mars is a strategic board game and it has made many players fall in love with its setting. The gameplay comes down to budget planning, calculating the introduction of new technologies and colonization of Mars. The game arises competition and it maintains the intrigue throughout the game.
The illustrations and graphic design of the game are very attractive and worked out in detail. It contributes to immersion into the atmosphere of space theme. This game can be played by 1-5 people at the same time and the players should be over 12 years old. If you like the theme of space, the ideas of planetary colonization, and strategy games, then you should take a look at Indie Boards and Cards Terraforming Mars.
- The interesting and exciting setting
- The spirit of competition supports intrigue
- Elements of the game are well-designed
- You need to think through your strategy in order to win the game
- The print quality of the components of the game is not the best
- One part is played long enough
The game is just great, it is interesting to play. My advice is to use the protectors, so that the cards will longer look as new ones.Lisa, CA
Terraforming Mars was very reminiscent of the movie “Martian”. I appreciate planet colonization games and this has become one of my favorites.Russel, TX
This game made our Halloween night entertaining. One party was played for about 2.5 hours, this was long enough. But! The setting is very cool, this game is deservedly considered one of the best among the new board games on the market.Rick, WA
Silver & Gold – best new board game for kids
- With simple rules and lightning-fast play silver and gold delivers an exhilarating experience for family and friends alike
- Includes 60 colorful wipe able playing cards and 4 dry erase pens
- From iconic designer Phil walker-Harding, the creator of such bestselling games as sushi go, Imhotep, and Barren park
- Made in Germany
Silver & Gold is a new roll and write game. You will feel like a treasure hunter who wants to get rich and earn the greatest possible treasure bonus. Success in a game depends on luck and cunning. It helps to develop the art of manipulation and makes the process of playing really intriguing.
The game contains 60 bright playing cards with an original design and several pens. This is a somewhat unusual board game format, and due to its small size it is convenient to take on trips. Silver & Gold will appeal to children over 8 years old, and it can be played by 2-4 players at the same time. If you like lightweight casual games or you are looking for a travel board game, Silver & Gold is a perfect match.
- The game has a compact size and it is convenient to take with
- It has a low risk of conflict situations
- Silver & Gold has a high replay value
- It is difficult to predict the winner in this game
- One play rarely lasts more than 30 minutes
- Fans of complicated games can be bored to play this game
My son is 10 years old, this is his favorite game. We always take it with us on trips, it is never boring.Stacy, WI
I really liked the game because of the simple rules and the cool design of game cards. It is a pity that I have lost 3 cards.Ross, SD
This is the perfect game for family and children. I like the concept of the treasure island. The game is sold in a box and it is convenient to store at home. It is definitely worth a try!Diana, KY
Keyforge – best board game for new gamers
- A unique deck game by Richard Gar eld.
- Every Archon deck is completely unique, unlike any other deck in existence. Each deck offers a full play experience without any need for deckbuilding or boosters.
- Innovative game mechanics challenge you to make tough tactical decisions and ensure that you’ll use every faction in your deck to achieve victory.
- Rich lore and gorgeous artwork immerse you in the world of the crucible.
- Intuitive companion app lets you track your unique decks, watch the meta at large, or easily organize tournaments.
Keyforge: Call of the Archons Starter Set is the perfect game for people who are just getting started with the world of board games. It contains an interesting setting and well-thought-out characters. Combine heroes and powerful cards, open up new opportunities, compete with other players if you want to win this game.
Call of the Archons Starter Set contains 2 training decks and 2 unique ones. The design is worked out to the smallest detail and helps to immerse yourself in the atmosphere of the game. It is designed for adolescents no younger than 14 years old. This game is ideal for both beginners and professionals, because it has simple rules and an interesting setting.
- Easy, clear rules
- You need to create and follow the strategies in order to win the game
- The universe of the game is thought out in detail
- Keyforge: Call of the Archons Starter Set includes enough card decks to play together with a friend
- A limited number of people can play this game at the same time
Pandemic: Legacy – best new party board game
- For 2 to 4 Players
- 60 minute playing time
- Shape the world, the characters, and even the diseases
- Ever changing elements means that every game will be unique to your group
- An epic twist on the now classic Pandemic mechanisms
In the universe of Pandemic: Legacy Season 1, a terrible virus pandemic unfolded. The participants should take on the role of scientists and cure humanity from the disease, uniting against the game itself. Winning the game is only possible if the whole team will play cohesively.
Board game is available in two editions: red and blue. The color of the box does not affect the gameplay, but the editions differ only in images on the front side. Graphic design of all cards is exciting, as well as print quality. The game is designed for 2-4 players aged 13-15 years. This game will appeal to people who like to play as a team and appreciate an interesting story with unexpected twists.
- The game develops a team spirit and promotes cohesion
- You need to follow the strategy to win the game
- Original design of the playing field and cards
- Unexpected twists can change the course of the game
- The game does not have high replayability
Coimbra – best new board game for Сhristmas
Coimbra is a fascinating and thoughtful economic strategy. Players as heads of the noble houses of the Portuguese city Coimbra will pave the way to greatness. The favor of the clergy, financial investments, and support from influential citizens will help to win the game.
Coimbra is an unusual economic strategy with a very original game mechanics based on cubes. The game itself is dynamic, beautifully designed in the style of the Renaissance. Coimbra is intended for children over 14 years old. 2-4 people can play it at the same time. The game will appeal to people who like the spirit of the Renaissance and enjoy playing economic strategies.
- High quality card design
- Good replayability
- The atmosphere of the Renaissance Portugal
- An opportunity to show your skills as a strategist
- One game requires at least an hour of free time
Wildlands – an exciting strategic board game for the company
- The great Darkness has fallen, and the Empire with it.
- In the Wildlands, opportunity awaits…if you fight for it.
- For 2-4 players. 30-60 minutes of playtime. For ages 14 and up.
Wildlands: Four-player core set – combat game, which is based on the strategy genre. 4 poor souls roam around the Wildlands, destroyed by the destructive power of magic. Each character has its own background and pursues its goals in the game. You have to make an effort and strain your brain in order to win.
Players fight each other using miniatures on the playing field. The design of the game is made in dark colors, but contains bright accents. The quality of printing cards and the playing field is decent. This game is designed for 2-4 players over 14 years old. This game will appeal to people who love post-apocalyptic themes and enjoy the strategy games with combat elements.
- Detailed background of each character
- The game completely immerses players into the plot
- This game can be played by a company of 2-4 people
- The rules of the game are simple and learning how to play the game takes little time
- Not recommended for children under 14 years old
Root – the best new asymmetric strategy
- Root is a game of adventure and war where 2 to 4 players battle for control of a vast wilderness.
- 2-4 players, Ages 14+
- 90- 120 minute playing time
- The stage is set for a contest that will decide the fate of the great woodland. It is up to the players to decide which group will ultimately take root.
- In Root, players drive the narrative, and the differences between each role create an unparalleled level of interaction and replayability. Leder Games invites you and your family to explore the fantastic world of Root!
In the game Root, players have to join the struggle for power in the forest, or go to meet adventures. However, each participant in the game will have his own purpose – fight with opponents, raise a revolution, maneuver between the parties of the conflict.
The game has a colorful design and addictive gameplay. The mechanics of the game are different from the usual board games, but this makes the game special. The game is intended for people over 14 years old and can be played by 2-4 players. If you like to leave your comfort zone and try on different roles, this game will not leave you indifferent.
- Each character has its own story and purpose
- The game is designed very well
- Root has a high replay value
- This game is easy to play
- You should have no less than 2 hours for 1 game
Scythe – the best alternate history based game
- A board game set in an alternate history 1920s period
- It is a time of farming and war, broken hearts and rusted gears, innovation and valor
- 1 to 5 Players
- 115 minutes playtime
- Game board measures 24.56 x 32.20 inches
Scythe deservedly received many awards and positive reviews. This is an epic story about life in alternative Eastern Europe. Players need to score as many points as possible, extracting resources and exchanging them for improvements for their empire.
The design of the game is breathtaking. The game has a high-quality performance of all elements, including two-layer fields of participants, with special recesses so that chips do not slip on them. Scythe is designed for 1-4 players over 14 years old. This game is suitable for people who really appreciate the atmosphere of a board game and visual performance.
- Quality design and good print
- Unusual atmospheric setting
- It is possible to play solo
- The game can be played over and over without getting bored
- It has got many ways to win
- The rules are not simple and you can get confused
Gloomhaven – the best cooperative board game with a gloomy atmosphere
- For 1-4 players; ages 12+; 60-120 minute playing time
- A game of Euro-inspired tactical Combat in a persistent world of shifting motive
- A game with a persistent and changing world that is ideally played over many game sessions
Gloomhaven is an all-inclusive desktop RPG. Unique characters with their stories and life goals, modern and even opposition to cruel and terrible AI can be found there. The game begins in the city of Gloomhaven, which serves as a starting point for adventurers. Each character joins the group for some reason – exactly until he fulfills his mission.
Each element of the game is competently designed by professionals. It is even nice to hold the game in your hands because it is made of high-quality materials and you can be sure that the elements of the game will not lose their original appearance over time. Gloomhaven can be played by 2-6 players over 12 years old. This game is not suitable for every person. You need to be a true fan of board games and love the long complex rules to appreciate Gloomhaven with dignity.
- An old-school RPG game
- It can be played for hours
- Boardgame professionals will have fun playing it
- High-quality performance of all elements
- Unique gaming universe
- Each character is well thought out and has its own story
- Complicated rules
- It can be boring for beginners to play this game
The first question that you will be asked in a store or board game club is: “What have you played and what did you like?”
Therefore, it is important to consider several key factors that influence the choice of the perfect board game:
- The number of players, so that all your friends have enough characters and each player is involved.
- The age of the players so that everyone is interested and no one is embarrassed by some adult moments during the game.
- Genre. There are a huge number of genres of board games, ranging from RPGs to strategies. They are all different, each in its own way interesting. As soon as you select the genre of the desired game, the search will be significantly narrowed.
- Theme of the game. Perhaps you want to buy a board game dedicated to the study of birds, the development of erudition, or zombie apocalypse. The market offers thousands of games dedicated to various topics and they will not make you bored.
- Level of difficulty. It is important to consider that it will be difficult for a beginner to play board games of increased complexity, and a professional will get bored with ordinary simple games. It is important to find a middle ground so that everyone is happy.
How we tested?
We have carefully tested each of the games in our top list for a long time. We divided our testers into 2 groups – a family and a group of friends.
The family group consists of 4 people – a man of 42 years old, a woman of 37 years old, and two children of 12 and 14 years old. Every day in the evening this group gathered and played each of the games. The family liked the Wingspan game the most because it lacked any hint of cruelty or violence and it was interesting for the members of this group to consider playing cards, read interesting facts, and discuss birds. Also, all the members of the felt really immersed in the game, the rules were clear to everyone and the guys just enjoyed this game. They liked the game Gloomhaven the least because of the complexity of the rules and the tricking plot. The family would not want to play this game again.
A group of friends consists of 4 people – two guys of 23 and 25 years old, as well as two girls of 22 and 24 years old. Every evening after work, this group gathered to visit one of the participants and they played each of the games from our top list. The friends liked the Scythe game because of the fascinating plot and stunning visual design, and Root because of the unusual format. The least they liked was Keyforge: Call of the Archons Starter Set. It was hard to understand the rules from the very beginning of the game and did not even finish the game to the end.
From this point, we can conclude that the game Stonemaier Games Wingspan Game is an ideal game for family gatherings at board games, and Scythe and Root will most of all appeal to friendly parties.
Purchasing a new board game is a very responsible business. Before buying a new game, you need to be aware of the trends of the market and have an idea about the game that you are going to purchase. We hope that our article was useful to you and will help you make the right choice.